Thank you for your interest in joining our team! With opportunities ranging from urban agriculture animation to student nutrition development, FoodShare has an opportunity for everyone. Our commitment to hiring persons of all cultural and racial backgrounds makes FoodShare a great place to learn and contribute. And a shared daily lunch doesn’t hurt at all. Come join us and help thousands of people who grow, eat and share via FoodShare every day.
Sign up for our enewsletter to have career, volunteer and placement opportunities delivered right to your desktop!
Do you have a big idea that can help us build a just, resilient, local food system? Contact us and say why we should work together!
Community Grown Lead Farmer
In the spring/summer of 2016, market gardens will be built in Flemingdon Park (north of 150 Grenoble) and Gordon Ridge (Danforth and Midland). A market garden is different from a community garden. The intent of these market gardens are to provide small-scale entrepreneurial opportunities – to grow and sell the food that is grown. Currently, there is a hoped for 2 acres of space that can be transformed into food growing space for the market gardens.
- Minimum two seasons of production farming
- Is physically strong, able to wield a shovel, and bend and lift
- Be able to put together a crop plan
- Lead the building of the project, includes coordinating with contractors
- Be able to use power tools and build beds, compost system, and drip irrigation.
- Facilitate the hands on learning of adults and youth in food growing
- Make connections with restaurants, farmer’s markets etc to sell food grown
- Work with short term staff as needed (such as Canada Summer Jobs)
- Facilitate the overall maintenance of the food growing spaces
- Excellent communication skills
- Manage volunteers
- High level skills with Microsoft Office and email
- Have a driver’s licence
- Be a resident of Thorncliffe/Flemingdon or Gordon Ridge neighbourhoods
- Speak a second language
- Social media skills
Position supported with:
These positions are supported with staff at Flemingdon Health Centre, FoodShare, and Toronto Community Housing who will support with volunteer recruitment and management, programming if needed, hiring of short term staff, building the project, and communicating with partners.
Hours and Compensation: 37.5hrs/week for $18.50/hour plus benefits from May 25 to November 4, 2016.
How to apply: please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications Monday, May 16, 2016
For information on the projects: www.communitygrownflemingdon.com and www.gordonridgegrows.net
The individual will be hired by FoodShare Toronto, and follow all FoodShare Toronto staff policies and procedures.
A partnership between Flemingdon Health Centre, FoodShare Toronto, Flemingdon Urban Fair Committee, Toronto Community Housing, Toronto Public Health, Orchard People, Flemingdon Ministry with support from City of Toronto, Trillium Foundation, and Live Green.