Thank you for your interest in joining our team! With opportunities ranging from urban agriculture animation to student nutrition development, FoodShare has an opportunity for everyone. Our commitment to hiring persons of all cultural and racial backgrounds makes FoodShare a great place to learn and contribute. And a shared daily lunch doesn’t hurt at all. Come join us and help thousands of people who grow, eat and share via FoodShare every day.
Sign up for our enewsletter to have career, volunteer and placement opportunities delivered right to you!
Do you have a big idea that can help us build a just, resilient, local food system? Contact us and say why we should work together!
Recipe for Change Lead Event Support Volunteer
We are looking for a Lead Event Support Volunteer to join our team to help make this year’s Recipe for Change a stunning success! The Lead Event Support Volunteer will coordinate all elements of the Silent Auction and support any new contests and systems developed to raise additional funds for FoodShare. The Lead Volunteer will volunteer over several months and work in consultation with FoodShare staff to deliver tasks outlined below, participate in team meetings and involve additional volunteers as needed.
- Participate in team meetings, and support Customer Service and Office Administrator to seek donations of maximum interest to event guests.
- Develop contest and auction communications strategy and website presence.
- Develop ideas and work plans for silent auction and possible contest, including recruitment of additional volunteers to support tasks as needed.
- Track and record all donations in format appropriate for external communications.
- Create bid sheets and create auction/contest layout.
- At the event: setup and facilitate silent auction and contest, coordinate volunteers, and payment process.
- Ensure items are recorded and payments received post event.
- Request, train, and support additional volunteers as needed to support tasks.
- Experience with fundraising and non-profit event planning.
- Excellent communications and customer service skills.
- Creative, hard-working, efficient, and organized team player who can motivate volunteers.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel/Google Sheets.
- Comfortable with basic content management system (WordPress), and interest in fundraising systems to support event.
- Proactive, flexible and up-beat attitude.
Recipe for Change is FoodShare’s signature fundraising event attracting 350+ guests to the St. Lawrence Temporary Market for a night of diverse, delicious food and drink in support of FoodShare’s work in schools.
Hours of work
Work hours are flexible and the Lead Event Support Volunteer would be expected to volunteer up to 10 hours per week depending on the event schedule. For example, September through November would require less time commitment contributing a few hours each week, and more time would be required in January and February. Responsibilities that can be completed remotely can be done at home or at FoodShare at 120 Industry St.
- 2 free tickets for Recipe for Change to give to friends or family
- Receive a complimentary small Good Food Box for every week time is spent volunteering
- Receive a complimentary healthy lunch on days working at FoodShare
- Gain applied experience in a non-profit work environment and exposure to all FoodShare programs, training, and networking opportunities
- Count volunteer hours towards course credit or independent study
- Applicants must be able to commit to a 7 month Lead Volunteer position, up to 10 hours/ week, September 2016 through March 2017
- TO APPLY – Please email your cover letter and resume detailing your experience and interest in the role in a single file by September 1, 2016 to email@example.com using the subject line: [Name] – Lead Event Support Volunteer Application.
- Please note in your letter what days Monday through Friday you are available. Candidates in high standing will be invited to interview.
FoodShare welcomes and encourages applications from persons of all cultural and racial backgrounds. FoodShare welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.