Thank you for your interest in joining our team! With opportunities ranging from urban agriculture animation to student nutrition development, FoodShare has an opportunity for everyone. Our commitment to hiring persons of all cultural and racial backgrounds makes FoodShare a great place to learn and contribute. And a shared daily lunch doesn’t hurt at all. Come join us and help thousands of people who grow, eat and share via FoodShare every day.
Sign up for our enewsletter to have career, volunteer and placement opportunities delivered right to you!
Do you have a big idea that can help us build a just, resilient, local food system? Contact us and say why we should work together!
Parental Leave Coverage (April 29th 2019 – May 15th 2020)
FoodShare Toronto is looking for a full time Programs Director for 12.5-month contract starting April 29th 2019 and ending May 15th 2020. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Programs Director provides leadership to the program team, in particular the program managers, through the coordination, support, evaluation, and administration of all aspects of FoodShare’s Programs happening in communities and schools. The Programs Director is a key member of the Senior Leadership Team at FoodShare, helping to shape the work culture, fostering cross departmental collaboration, maximizing synergies among program areas and organizational policies and practices.
Duties (include but are not limited to):
- Oversee the delivery of FoodShare’s programs in accordance with FoodShare’s mission, strategic plan, and commitment to food justice.
- Support the animation of FoodShare’s food justice initiatives
- Conduct and oversee program planning process and planning tool development that supports staff teams in achieving clear outcomes for all programs.
- Lead the process of further imbedding principles of food justice in FoodShare’s programs.
- Develop and implement strategies that will maximize the synergies among programs.
- Develop new initiatives that support the strategic direction of FoodShare, as appropriate.
- Support Managers and Program Staff to ensure effective and efficient program delivery.
- Draft policies required for effective and safe program implementation.
- Work with the Director of Operations to support ongoing evaluation of programs.
- Ensure that all FoodShare programs operate within the approved budget by monitoring and approving all budgeted program expenditures.
- Identify and evaluate risks associated with program activities and take appropriate action to mitigate risks.
- Prepare and coordinate grant submissions and funding requests.
- Facilitate and organize training for FoodShare staff, interns, and volunteers as required.
- Conduct and oversee performance development of staff, recommending training and skills building opportunities in alignment with FoodShare’s HR policies.
- Identify and develop informal and formal partnerships to support programs, including drafting MOUs and partnership agreements.
- Represent FoodShare on external partner committees that are relevant to FoodShare programs.
- Other duties as may be assigned
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary: $70,000 plus benefits
Required Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
- Demonstrated commitment to principles of food justice
- 5+ years of experience in the not-for-profit sector (experience in management preferred) or the equivalent combination of education and work experience
- 2+ years of experience managing large staff teams working across multiple program sites
- 2+ years of experience developing and managing departmental program budgets
- 3+ years of experience writing successful grant applications and funding proposals
- Strong project management skills managing complex, multi-faceted projects resulting in measurable successes and program growth
- Deep understanding of human resources, employee performance improvement plans, and corrective action policies
- Self-directed, positive attitude with demonstrated passion for FoodShare’s mission
- Solid judgment and leadership skills
- Experience with Program Evaluation
- Experience with risk assessment and mitigation
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and thrive in a complex environment with multiple priorities
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with exceptional attention to details
Hours of work: 37.5 hours per week, Parental Leave Coverage (April 29th 2019 – May 15th 2020)
How to apply: please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to download a PDF version of the Programs Director job posting.
Deadline for applications: April 1st, 2019 at 11:59pm
FoodShare is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, national origin, age, disability, protected veterans status or any other legally-protected factors.
If you feel you need accommodation because of illness or disability during the application process, please do not hesitate to contact Human Resources at your earliest convenience – email@example.com. You will also be briefed on FoodShare’s policies regarding accommodation and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Please note that only candidates selected to move forward in the hiring process will be contacted.