With our shareable, open-source guides and toolkits, educators can easily bring food justice into their learning spaces. Our lesson plans help create culturally-affirming learning environments where participants of all ages can share and build on their knowledge about the food system and can identify ways to engage in creating meaningful change. Scroll down for programming ideas on the right to food, racial and environmental justice, reconciliation, body liberation and fat acceptance, and poverty reduction.
Book an Educator Training!
Check out our newest educator resource, “Cook What You Love, Love What You Eat,” a food justice-based workshop series! With seven weeks of lesson plans, this series brings conversations about anti-oppression, anti-racism, and the food system into your classroom. Help us inspire the next generation of food activists!
This is where you'll find the most recently updated, re-vamped or freshly designed lesson plans, educational tools and learning units from Field to Table Schools. Whether it's an adapted tried and true activity from the early days, something hot off the press, or something literally "dusted off" because the time is right - again. We hope you find them useful!
- Build a Seed Ball - "You Built It!" Series (Gr 4-6) - Check out the Build a Seed Ball video
- Build a Worm Bin - "You Built It!" Series (Gr 4-6) - Check out the Build a Worm Bin video
- Build a Bee Condo - "You Built It!" Series (Gr 4-6) - Check out the Build A Bee Condo video
- Build a Pop Bottle Planter - "You Built It!" Series (Gr 4-6) - Check out the Build a Pop Bottle video
- Cook Off the Grid - "You Built It!" Series (Gr 4-6)
Check out the "Hummus in a Bag" video!
- Turn Food Scraps Into Fashion - "You Built It!" Series (Gr 4-6) - Check out the Turn Food Scraps Into Fashion video
- #ScrappySalad - A Local Food Worksheet - Instagram Live series in partnership with Urban Arts Toronto (We recommend pairing this with "Signature Salads"!)
- #GrowToYourRoom - A Single Use Plastics Worksheet - Instagram Live series in partnership with Urban Arts Toronto (We recommend pairing this with the "Build a Pop Bottle Planter" or "Herbalicious" workshop!). Check out the Instagram LIVE recording.
- #MyFoodJusticeLeague - A Neighbourhood Food Justice Worksheet - Instagram Live series in partnership with Urban Arts Toronto (We recommend pairing this with "What Toronto Eats!")
Check out the Instagram LIVE recording.
- #SoBadItsGood - A handy guide for using food past it's best Worksheet - Instagram Live series in partnership with Urban Arts Toronto (We recommend pairing this with the "Cook Off The Grid" or "Stone Soup" workshop!).
Check out the Instagram LIVE recording.
- Can You Dig It? (Gr 2-4) | Can You Dig It? Support Documents
- Food, Media & Marketing (Gr 5-12) - Supporting slides: Food Packaging and Advertising | Health Claims and Nutritional Information | Name That Brand. Name That Food. | Portion Distortion | You Sure You Want to Drink That?
- Pollination Patrol (Gr JK-2) | Pollination Patrol Supporting Documents
- Roots and Shoots (Gr JK-2) | Roots and Shoots Supporting Documents
- Plant Part Yoga Video
- Stone Soup (Gr 2-4)
- What Toronto Eats (Gr 9-12) | What Toronto Eats Supporting Documents
Classic Lesson Plans:
- Cooking and Tasting Toolkit (Educator Manual Series)
- Great Big Crunch (JK/SK)
- Nourishing with Nursery Rhymes (JK/SK)
- Grains on the Brain (JK/SK - Gr 3)
- Herbalicious Poetry (Gr 3-6)
- Signature Salads (Gr 3-8)
- Cacao Culture (Gr 5) | Cacao Culture Name Tags | Cacao Culture Game Cards
- Eat Your Weeds (Gr 8-12)
- Signature Salads (Gr 9-12 Careers)
- Bike Blended Smoothies (Gr 12) | Smoothie Cards | Green Smoothie Recipe
- Herbalicious Poetry, Match-Up, Butter & Tea (Gr 5-6)
- You Know You Make Me Wanna Sprout! (Gr 7/8)
- EcoGardens Party (Gr 7/8)
- Grow to Your Room: Pop Bottle Planters (Gr 7/8) | Pop Bottle Building Instructions - drawings by Nicole Sullivan
- The Vegequarium (Gr 7/8)
- Eat Your Weeds Handout (Gr 8-12)
- Projects in Urban Agriculture (Gr 9) | File A Sprout Handout | Vegequarium Handout
- Compost - Three Bin Composter Building Guide
- Rotten Apple Party: Worm Exploration (JK/SK)
- Rotten Apple Party: Compost Game Show (Gr 1)
- Rotten Apple Party: Microorganism Dance Party! (Gr 2)
- Compost Cake (Gr 6) | Compost Cake Cards
- Soil Erosion (Gr 8)
- Food Source Sleuths: Royal Winter Fair (Gr 2-4)
- Waste in our Food System (Gr 3-8)
- Energy Detectives (Gr 6)
- FoodPrints and Energy Detectives (Gr 7) | Transport Hierarchy Signs
- Cattle and Land Use (Gr 7) | Cattle Cards | Super Cows | Roast Beef Sandwich Cards
- Time to Talk Turkey (Gr 8) | Time to Talk Turkey Poster | Food Item Cards
- Urban Chickens (Gr 8) | Chickens Field Guide
Other Useful Documents:
- Back Pocket Activities to Keep Your Students Having Fun While They Learn (JK - Gr 8)
- Teacher Resource Book List (JK - Gr 12)
- Bicycle Blender Building Guide
- Greenbelt Farmers' Market Scavenger Hunts: Younger Children | Older Children
- Vegequarium Handout (JK - Gr 12)
- JK/SK Scavenger Hunt Worksheet
- Gr 1-3 Scavenger Hunt Worksheet
- Gr 4-6 Scavenger Hunt Worksheet
- Gr 7-8 Scavenger Hunt Worksheet
- Great Big Crunch Resources & Inspiration Page
- The Royal's High School Chef Competition Manual
- Farm to School Salad Bar Toolkits: High Schools | Elementary Schools