Thank you for your interest in joining our team! With opportunities ranging from urban agriculture animation to student nutrition development, FoodShare has an opportunity for everyone. Our commitment to hiring persons of all cultural and racial backgrounds makes FoodShare a great place to learn and contribute. And a shared daily lunch doesn’t hurt at all. Come join us and help thousands of people who grow, eat and share via FoodShare every day.
Sign up for our enewsletter to have career, volunteer and placement opportunities delivered right to you!
Do you have a big idea that can help us build a just, resilient, local food system? Contact us and say why we should work together!
Community Kitchens Facilitator
Facilitate engaging, hands-on, and culturally relevant community kitchens with groups across Toronto both in community and on-site. Design and facilitate community kitchens programming rooted in food justice.
Detailed job description
- Facilitate all aspects of Community Kitchen programming including responding to inquiries, booking sessions, sourcing ingredients, workshop facilitation, and workshop evaluation
- Work with Program Manager to develop and facilitate a food justice community kitchen series (i.e. workshops on decolonizing your diet)
- Collaborate with other kitchen staff on facilitating cooking sessions on cooking from scratch, canning, and preserving
- Develop and adapt workshop content (workshop outlines, recipes, etc) that are culturally relevant, age appropriate, and support the needs of Community Kitchen participants
- Create and maintain an inclusive, welcoming, and supportive environment during all program sessions
- Implement and maintain health and safety standards, and safe working protocols in the kitchen; set up safe work stations for workshop participants
- Responsible for tracking expenses and receipts, and supporting project bookkeeping
- Participate in outreach activities to identify and build relationships with local stakeholders, facilitators, and participants as needed
- Train and supervise volunteers and interns as needed
- Participate in FoodShare staff meetings and trainings, and handle other duties as assigned
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
- Minimum 1 year experience working with food in a professional context
- Demonstrated commitment to principles of food justice
- 1+ years of experience facilitating workshops and teaching about food with people of diverse communities, comfortable with independently facilitating sessions
- 1+ years of experience with canning, preserving, and cooking from scratch for groups; comfortable working in commercial kitchens and familiar with commercial kitchen equipment
- Effective communication and organizational skills
- Flexibility and creative problem solving skills
- Able to handle unexpected situations and think on your feet
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Familiar and proficient with G-Suite in Google Drive, Sheets, Docs, Calendar, Gmail, etc.
- Have a valid Ontario Drivers License or comfortable using TTC for workshops
- Availability to work evenings and weekends, as needed
Please note that the successful applicant will be required to obtain a Vulnerable Sector Check, Food Handler’s Safety certification, and Emergency First Aid certification. FoodShare will cover the cost of these certifications.
Hours of work: 22.5/week
Contract position: July 2019 – December 2019 with possibility of extension.
Salary: $19.38/hr + benefits reimbursement
Department: Community Food Animation
TO APPLY: Please send applications to Human Resources – email@example.com by 5:00 pm on Thursday, June 27th, 2019
Click here to download a PDF version of the Community Kitchens Facilitator job posting.
FoodShare is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, national origin, age, disability, protected veterans status or any other legally-protected factors.
If you feel you need accommodation because of illness or disability during the application process, please do not hesitate to contact Human Resources at your earliest convenience – firstname.lastname@example.org. You will also be briefed on FoodShare’s policies regarding accommodation and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Please note that only candidates selected to move forward in the hiring process will be contacted.
Please note that only candidates selected to move forward in the hiring process will be contacted.