DEMAND AN INCREASE IN ODSP RATES
Join us in calling on provincial party leaders to commit to doubling Ontario Disability Support Program rates immediately.
Just enter your contact details and click “Add Your Voice” below. The letter will be sent on your behalf to all party leaders.
ABOUT THE CAMPAIGN
Read our joint letter asking party leaders to #DoubleODSPNow.
The Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) is a provincial program intended to provide income and employment supports to folks with disabilities and their families. Developed in 1998, ODSP merged other disability support programs as part of a social assistance system overhaul. Over the years, ODSP has not kept up with the rising cost of rent, gas, food and other basic needs in this province.
We are disability justice organizers, income security advocates, farmers, food growers, and food justice organizations, urging the provincial government to increase Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) rates – a longstanding call from clients of ODSP and community advocates.
ODSP Rates and Legislated Poverty
Current ODSP rates equate to legislated poverty. While the low-income threshold for a single person in Ontario is $2,229 per month, ODSP provides a single person with a maximum income support amount of just $1,169 per month.
We know that food insecurity is most prevalent among households with inadequate, insecure incomes and few, if any, financial assets. This is reflected by the fact that the food insecurity rate in Ontario is 13.3%, yet for households relying on social assistance such as ODSP, the number jumps to 60%. In a 2021 survey, respondents with disabilities identified that they had less than $100 per month ($3.33 per day) to spend on food after paying for housing and utilities.
We are asking that, if elected, each party leader commit to:
- Doubling ODSP payments immediately
- Indexing rates to market value rent and inflation
- Consulting with ODSP recipients and disability justice advocates on further program reforms
Current Party Platforms
- Progressive Conservative: Increase ODSP by 5% and legislate that raises must be indexed to inflation ($1,227/month).
- Liberal: Increase ODSP by 20% over two years ($1,403/month).
- NDP: Increase ODSP by 20% immediately ($1,403/month), and double in the second year ($2,338/month). Legislate that raises must be indexed to inflation.
- Green: Double ODSP rates as part of People with Disabilities Support Plan ($2,338/month).
The low-income threshold for a single person in Ontario is $2,229/month. ODSP provides a single person with a maximum income support amount of just $1,169 per month.
- Send an email to party leaders demanding that they #DoubleODSPNow.
- Join our Instagram Live with Disability Justice Network of Ontario and #DoubleODSPNow on May 27, 2022 at 12PM, which will focus on re-shaping how the public views ODSP, and why we urgently need to ensure livable incomes for people with disabilities & their loved ones.
- Follow the work of #DoubleODSPNow, Disability Justice Network of Ontario, Ontario Disability Coalition and ODSP Action Coalition.