FoodShare, in partnership with Student Nutrition Toronto (SNT), supports over 750 healthy breakfast, morning meal, snack and lunch programs every school year. Our Student Nutrition Community Development Animator Team offers intensive on-site support for programs while our bulk produce program delivers the freshest vegetables and fruit- that nourish young minds and bodies.
Ensuring that all children and youth have access to healthy food at school through Student Nutrition Programs is an important step in setting healthy eating patterns for a lifetime. Students enjoy good food just like the rest of us, and when they share a snack or a meal together, friendships form that can last a lifetime. Well-nourished students are focused and ready to learn to the best of their ability.
Student Nutrition Programs:
- Feature fun, vibrant menus and recipes based around Canada’s Food Guide, served up in healthy serving sizes, and are most often shared in a classroom setting.
- Often involve parents and community members who gain meaningful volunteer and work experience. Many program volunteers are new Canadians experiencing new connections and building bonds.
How Student Nutrition Programs work:
FoodShare doesn’t start a program, we:
- Provide intensive on-site support to parents and community leaders looking to start and sustain a local program.
- Deliver fresh, affordable, diverse vegetables and fruit to over 30% of Student Nutrition Programs in Toronto.
- Offer workshops and resources focusing on Best Practices for many aspects of each program, including budgeting, menu planning, serving culturally appropriate foods, and growing community.
Do you want to start a Student Nutrition Program for your child and community? Connect with one of our Animators to learn about starting a program or find the one nearest you.